VALUE AND CAPITAL
How easy is it to conflate the two.
Yet when we do, we continue to animate the current monological story of value being measured in only one domain – money and its equivalents.
Value is about intrinsic worth. We might begin from the premise that everything has intrinsic worth. How that worth is expressed in the exterior world of measurement is the question. In the right context, all people, living and inanimate things have value in their expression. In the wrong context, intrinsic value is diminished, or negated.
Value is the interiors, the often unable to be measured. The warm data.
The moment we try to measure and capitalise on some forms of intrinsic value is the moment we debase what it means to be human.
What is the capital of being present for the birth of a child, a shared sunset with a beloved, the kiss of the morning sun upon your skin? When we try to reduce these experiences to a measurement that fits our world of capital, we know in some deep part of ourselves we have broken the ties that have us be human, compassionate, loving, caring…all the unable-to-be-measured things.
Capital is extrinsic. It carries within its etymology and symbology excess, accumulation, objectification, extraction. It is one step removed from the gritty, messy, awesome human experience, and in this gap arises permission to do things that violate humans and Earth.
As steward leaders of Syntropic Enterprises* our inquiry is how do we create the context and ecology for people to express their real value. And then how do we honour this value, in multiple domains. We use Integral Accounting as a place to start, considering value in six domains and honouring value in six domains, one of which is money.
We can consider all six domains as having the potential to hold capital. But only after we have nominated and honoured intrinsic value. Human/life/love first, capital as precession.
If we are committed to creating a world with a future for all then we need new language, new models, new maps. Continuing to exist only in the world of capital, be that capital natural, social, people, conscious or financial…is to continue to rob the future of the whole domain of real value and in the process debase the very things that ultimately matter most.
*Syntropic Enterprise – based on ensuring that the enterprise leaves all stakeholders, all it touches, in better shape for having existed in the short and long term
Photo taken October 18th, 2019
Beauty is best when shared. Your friends and colleagues might be delighted to receive a daily Beauty antidote to the current news cycle. They can sign up here
About Dr Christine McDougall
CREATING A WORLD WHERE SYNTROPIC ENTERPRISES ARE UBIQUITOUS. SYNTROPIC = MOVING TO A HIGHER ORDER TOWARDS AN ETERNALLY REGENERATIVE UNIVERSE = LEAVING EARTH AND ALL HER CREATURES IN BETTER SHAPE FOR HAVING EXISTED
As the principal of Syntropic.world – She works with leaders and enterprises globally who have a commitment to being the pioneers of enterprise change. Christine has the ability to completely re-imagine business, its role in our world, and its potential for a future for all humans. She experiences a deeper level of truth than most through applying synergetics (Buckminster Fuller’s anticipatory design science), and has a way of articulating this so others can see it as well. Christine questions the most basic assumptions that drive our complex systems and can map that back to what is needed today. She is committed to the creation of Syntropic enterprises as ubiquitous.
To learn more visit www.syntropic.world
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 6 ways I can help you steward your enterprise for a world with a future.
1. Purchase the ebook, Speak the Truth for just $10. Our most important work is in human to human relationships. Often the greatest pain of our lives is when these relationships at home and in our work break down. This is a powerful tool that has restored the human connection in many of the most broken relationships. The 7 step process covered in Speak the Truth has been delivered to thousands around the world. www.syntropic.world/speakthetruth
2. Masterclass – Syntropic Enterprise Design and Strategy. The masterclass seeds a new school of business and enterprise design for a world with a future. For more, www.syntropic.world/masterclass
3. Enterprise Architecture Launchpad – a four day intensive experience for enterprise teams of up to twenty to shift towards becoming a Syntropic Enterprise. For more information, www.syntropic.world/launchpad
4. Unplanning Obsolescence One Day Strategy Session – a team experience to consider a whole systems approach to strategy through becoming a Syntropic Enterprise. For more information, www.syntropic.world/unplanningobsolescence
5. Off-site retreats for Steward leaders in the process of deep change. Be this change personal, at the enterprise level, or both. Rather than a “health retreat/spa” step into a space that enables both self refection and other refection towards the fullest expression of your Pattern Integrity in the world. www.syntropic.world/retreat
6. Warm Data Labs – to consider a trans-contextual response to complex problems, evoking the collective brilliance available when we look at the whole system by design. www.syntropic.world/warmdatalab
Beauty Of Beginnings
365 days, daily glorious sunrise photo and short contemplation. Subscribe for more beauty in your inbox.